Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Night Owl Cookies

These are some cool looking Halloween cookies I came across today. Here's the recipe.

Night Owl Cookies
Have a hoot with these Halloween treats. They’re perfect for a night time snack.
Prep time: 25 min., Refrigeration time: 30 min.
Baking time: 11 min.
Decoration time: 15 min.
Difficulty: Moderate
What you'll need:
1 bag M&M’S® Brand Peanut Chocolate Candies Pumpkin Patch Mix
1 18-oz. roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
20 whole cashews
1/2 cup chocolate frosting
2 cookie sheet pans
Plastic wrap paper
Resealable plastic bag

Divide the sugar cookie dough in three pieces. Knead the flour into one piece of cookie dough until smooth, set aside. Combine the remaining two pieces of cookie dough and knead in the cocoa powder until smooth, set aside.
Roll the lighter colored cookie dough into a 1-inch round log about 10 inches long, and move it off to the side. Roll out the chocolate cookie dough on a lightly floured surface to a 10 x 4-inch rectangle. Place the light colored log of cookie dough on top of the chocolate rectangle. Wrap the chocolate cookie dough completely around the lighter colored log. Pinch edges to seal and roll the log smooth. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the cookie log into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 slices, side by side, on sheet pans. Press a cashew into cookie at the point the slices touch. Repeat with remaining cookie slices. Bake for approximately 8-11 minutes, or until cookies are just beginning to golden. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Spoon the chocolate frosting into a resealable bag and snip a small corner from bag. Using the photograph as guide, pipe eyelashes and a dot to secure candies. Add the M&M’S® Brand Peanut Chocolate Candies Pumpkin Patch Mix for eyes. Makes 20 owl cookies.

10 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger Lori said...

These cookies seem like they would be a lot of fun to make. Plus, they look real good to eat as well.

 
At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there mouse. I came via your blog via dot and after visiting a few more blogs I find myself reading your recipe.

I amde pumpkin jam for the first time this week and it was absolutely fantastic.....easy too!
1kg pumpkin, peeled and cubed + 1kg sugar + chrystilized ginger to taste.
Simmer in pan, then bubble till sets.
(jam test thingy)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Great to meet you anyway!

Denisex

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger dot said...

Really cute mouse. Thanks for the recipe.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger mouse said...

Well if any of ya'll make them let me know what you think. I think I am going to make them Friday.
Mrsnesbitt nice to meet you. I do that a lot also, read one persons blog and end up going to read some of the other blogs they read, find some I really enjoy that way also. I have never had pumpkin jam but sounds interesting. What is 1 kg equal to in US if you know?

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Tina Leigh said...

Good night those are cute & I bet they taste really good. I dont need to want to bake anything but I cant help myself!! LOL!!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

How cute and fun! I'll have to try and do this with my girls for Halloween. They're always wanting to make cookies! Thanks for the great idea!!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Those are just adorable and look so yummy! I've copied the recipe, thanks:-)

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

These are so cute and wonderful looking. I HAVE To try to make them. Thank you so much!

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger mouse said...

Connie I am so glad you finally got your package, I was starting to get a little worried about that UPS man.

All of you that are going to make them I hope you have fun. Lacy and I are going to make them tomorrow when she gets out of school.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how cute! This owl-lover is for sure going to make this sometime this month! Thank you for the recipe. :o)
Flora

 

Post a Comment

<< Home